Tuesday, July 17, 2012

the least worst choice

THE LEAST WORST CHOICE
Last night I got done reading Kunstler’s new book, “Too Much Magic”.  I was not disappointed in the least.  Oh, sure, I had to grit my teeth when he started in on his inevitable tirade against Southern culture.  But I tried to be understanding.  Since the Yankee Scum are responsible for slavery ( profiting mightily off the slave trade lo these many years back ), were instrumental in the War Of Northern Aggression ( no longer permitting new slave states ) and made a mighty pretty penny colonizing the South after the war, it is of course to be expected that their educational system would go to any length to propagandize in their favor and against the South.  Conquerors and  exploiters always need to justify their illegal and immoral actions.  Look at the Yankee Imperial Banker Led System Of World Domination  ( Kunstler seemed rather confused that Southerners willingly supported the Yankee war machine, ignoring the parallel with Irish and Scottish troops serving in the British armed forces.  The Celts love to fight, for others or against themselves, and Southerners are predominantly of Scots-Irish descent.  That doesn’t mean the troops don’t despise their occupiers ).  Collateral damage of innocent Iraqi and Afghan civilians should be unacceptable.  It is justified in various ways, if acknowledged at all.  The Yankees, who by the way also occupy the West but it was never a huge deal by the inhabitants perhaps because we have always thought of the evil bitches as a oppressive government ( the FedGov ) rather than a cultural group ( Gott Damn Yankees ), have been at it since the Civil War ( atrocities against civilians ) and are getting quite good at it by now.
*
NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to archieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM.  I haven't got a copy of it yet, but I'm thinking this thing will be better than sliced white bread.   It does cost $10 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side.  But I think I'm worth it.  Depending on how much the production company charges per copy, my cut will be about $5 to $6.  That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance.  Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
So, I understand that Kunstler is merely a victim of his upbringing.  All Yankees are led to believe their government is mighty and just and all other regions/ethic groups/cultures are barbarian scum.  If you hate someone, you can kill them easier.  And it justifies acting badly towards them.  Kunstler, besides having that one really irritating mannerism ( blind to Yankee evil- he goes to great lengths to excuse the northern led central bank as a mere patsy/incompetent actor rather than the all encompassing, all controlling minions of Lucifer they actually are ), provides a very useful service putting together all the information we need to try to survive the post peak oil world.  All survival writers have one or several flaws that could make it easy to discount their ideas.  Don’t fall for it.  Use the good and learn to ignore the bad.  Hell, even I, the least imperfect writer of all time, still have an irritating tic or two you have to put up with.  Don’t discount Kunstler because he is a snobbish Yankee.  He still brings a lot to the table.  I would recommend the book, but of course only if you have the money burning a hole in your pocket.  I liked it, and will honor it by reading it again, but after all it is only an update to “The Long Emergency” and nothing that hasn’t been posted online already. 
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article.  Or, visit
http://bisonpress.com/affiliatebooks.html
You can purchase anything, not just the linked item.  Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire.  As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  Thank you.
*
The book made a great deal over most folks willing embrace of wishful thinking to ignore the converging problems.  And of course there is a lot of that.  Way too much, and it will kill a whole lot of people.  But we also need to add in willful ignorance.  Sometimes you have no choice but to ignore the most likely outcome, despite overwhelming evidence it is already happening.  Of all people, I should be the most likely one to head for the hills before anyone else, I’m so damn paranoid ( I didn’t used to be this way, but the experience of being forcibly held underwater financially as the government violated my exposed anal orifice has led me during the last fifteen years to really become scared and antsy ).  I KNOW I should put way more distance between myself and others, I shouldn’t work full time and I should fortify my dwelling better.  Yet,  I willingly ignore the danger because I have a wife to take care of, mainly.  I’m not blaming her, this is the course I’ve chosen voluntarily, but for various reasons I am tied to full time work and with being in a reasonable distance of town.  I know it will kill me.  I just bought another three hundred pounds of wheat when I had the U-Haul picking up lumber.  I couldn’t waste the opportunity to get a three-fer from the rental ( 1-haul lumber, 2-get bags of wheat, 3- take in a years worth of too-big-for-the-bike trash the next day upon return ).  Will I ever survive long enough to eat that additional amount of food?  I’d say the odds are against it.  I do it because it is better to have too much than not enough, but as I’ve decried before, I know I’m too close to neighbors and town ( only a few miles as the crow flies, although the official city limits are a bit unpopulated ).  The only real strategy for surviving a population crash die-off is to be a hermit and reemerge later. 
*
How many other people know they are in danger but can’t do a damn thing?  They have family nearby, their spouse needs a hospital treatment regularly, they will be haunted by the government if they leave their home or college bills behind, whatever.  I wonder how many people know full well they need to be at a retreat but have to settle for just sticking to six months supply of canned food and arming themselves with a 9mm.  All these folks I’ve made fun of and mocked and called dumbasses could merely be stuck and have just picked the least worst choice.  I might stand corrected after all.
END
*
My books available at
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted.  For the obtuse out there.



 

10 comments:

  1. Here is a site you should have a look at. Especially Tues. post about Syrian, War, MENA and the Ottoman empire re-emergence.

    http://brucekrasting.blogspot.com/

    I agree with you, you're too close to town but whatcha gonna do? Got to have a job and at least you're workin in something you seem to like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you have pointed out before, your loyal minions cannot afford to be Rawlesian survivalists. My compromise has been to team up with LMI's who I have known for decades, get in touch with rural relatives, and plan out fall back positions as able. Not the best situation, but hey, I could get hit by a bus today. You take your chances and let the twenty-siders fall how they may.
    CU

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you quit peeking in my windows? ;-)
    I know you are talking about me-
    the 9mm, 6 mo of cans, College debt, family and wife tieing me to the (small) city...
    If I had the 40k for the wifes choice of property we would have it already. Of course it has taken a decade for me to whittle her down from the 200k 'dream' property (house already built?!?! by contractors?!?!).

    I keep my eyes on the truth of how $cr3w3d I am; though I still dream I will be able to get everything done in the nick of time- like the lottery, some-one is bound to win it, I may as well hope it is me.

    -Grey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta have balance,if everybody was a hermit, there wouldn't be any hermits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since StreamWalker started the shout outs, or whatever you call them, you might like this particular post from a sociology focused blog: it is about accidents and sytem failures. Either one of us could probably find a post or two in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The only real strategy for surviving a population crash die-off is to be a hermit and reemerge later." I came to that conclusion about 2 decades ago. After spending a decade preparing for that life, I thought, "Is this how I want to end up, alone on a ruined planet? Hell no!" And then I met the woman I married. I wouldn't trade this past decade with her even for another 50 years by myself.

    Sometimes you just need to know what's important and accept the consequences for the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Hell, even I, the least imperfect writer of all time..."
    You're always good for a chuckle, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just as I suspected. There is a compasssionate person under all that bluster and bragging. Yes, most of us know what we should do but by circumstances can't do it. Always enjoy hearing from you about what we should be doing but are just too stupid or lazy to do so. I get my daily workout yelling at you. Keep it up and so will I.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll just throw in a contrary opinion to be contrary. Not on the main point of the article, but on your own situation. I still believe the survivalist narrative of urban hordes setting out after a collapse and stripping the land bare is very unlikely. Most people in an emergency hunker down in their home. By the time the masses realize no help is on the way, they are in no position (physically, energy to be mobile) to wander aimlessly looking for resources. I'd be afraid of my near neighbors turning on me, but otherwise I think being even a few miles out of town is a pretty good security barrier. The Bison Pit of Doom should be pretty good ballistic protection with lots of dirt around you, unless it just makes you like fish in a barrel... perhaps you should install a periscope?

    ReplyDelete