Thursday, July 26, 2012

drought doubts

DROUGHT DOUBTS
The drought just got worse in the last week.  You know, that event playing out across our nations breadbasket.  But, hey, why worry?  We fed ourselves through the Dust Bowl.  Of course, we only had half the people to feed back then, and our soil wasn’t as degraded.  Hey, we’ll just import grain from everywhere else.  Oh, you mean they are in drought or flood conditions also?  Bummer.  I guess the commodities traders will just magically produce a product from manipulating the market.  Folks, you can’t innovate or invent certain things.  Such as food and energy.  You got it or you don’t.  For over ten years global reserves of grains have been drawn down to meet shortfalls of new population demand coupled with stagnant production.  Food production is just like Peak Oil.  A flatline production is still the same as decline once you put more consumers in line.  At the beginning of the end of our stockpiled reserves we now start having really bad weather.  Now the bad weather is here in the former globes grain producer of last resort.  It isn’t a done deal just yet.  I imagine a divine intervention could happen ( for those severe religious types that used to point quivering accusing fingers at L.A. or NYC as a pit of inequity, a living defiling of God’s will, a modern Gomorra, you can pretty much now close your eyes, spin around, point at any area and have the same issues.  As far as deserving places of divine wraith, 99% of the country is a target ).  I wouldn’t count on it.
*
I have as much ability to forecast the exact consequences of this drought as I do the exact arrival of the second coming of Christ.  I do have the uncanny ability to cry havoc and let slip the dogs of paranoia.  Nothing could happen, but I can so easily see Very Bad Things happening.  When you lose the electric grid for a week, it really really sucks and people get stupid, but for the most part life is near normal as far as social conduct.  But if you take away food, I’d wager a donut that very bad behavior will be widespread.  The people in this country don’t know what its like to not eat to excess.  Several times a day.  Panic over the reality could be the thing making the consequences so much worse.  The food would vanish from the shelves immediately, and that night most restaurants would be broken into and pilfered.  Too many crack head minor league thieves are already qualified to do the job.  As soon as one sniffs the opportunity, the pack goes into motion and they suddenly have a ready made barter item.  Number ten cans for crack.  Yeh, baby! 
*
It is true that I panic and cry wolf over every possible civilization crushing event.  But I never offer advice that harms you if I’m wrong.  You can’t go wrong with too much food.  Eventually you eat it all.  And inflation is only going to continue.  Overbuy now, for humps sake.  I don’t know how much longer you get warned with prices near normal. 
*
Tomorrow I’m leaving first thing in the morning for Carson City to visit my dad.  My son is flying out to visit them, so I get two visits for the price of one.  It will be the last time I see him for four years if he gets deployed overseas ( I ignore the possibility of this being the last visit ever ).  I’ve already written tomorrow’s article last weekend and pre-posted it for Friday noon.  It is even full length.   And last weekend was no picnic, darn it.  It was 95 degrees and I started building the pit.  I worked 16 hours those two days and have the framing complete on the cabin and the roof started.  I have to dig a bit more to put the second wall in front, but the cabin was the hard part.  The roof will be relatively easy.  I took a few pictures, although don’t expect much.  It will be only three or four showing the whole process.  I don’t want anyone exactly following my technique ( my buddy down the street took one look and said, “there ain’t a single plumb line on it!”.  I just followed the Soviet example of over-building to compensate for lack of workmanship ).  I’ll post the pictures in two or three weeks ( hopefully ) when the whole thing is done.
*
A VERY short one today.  I’m feeling hot, tired, discouraged and in a poor mood.   I don’t know why. I got the book “X-Events” today, as well as a wonderful care package in the mail from Sam ( thanks, brother! ), so my spirits should be in the up bracket.  Maybe I’m just run down.  Hopefully a three day weekend will cure it ( or, my luck, the collapse occurs when I’m stuck down in Crapville ).  Talk to you all Monday ( but remember to tune in tomorrow for the pre-posted article ).
END
NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to archieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM.  I haven't got a copy of it yet, but I'm thinking this thing will be better than sliced white bread.   It does cost $10 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side.  But I think I'm worth it.  Depending on how much the production company charges per copy, my cut will be about $5 to $6.  That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance.  Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article.  Or, visit
http://bisonpress.com/affiliatebooks.html
You can purchase anything, not just the linked item.  Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire.  As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  Thank you.
*
*
My books available at
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted.  For the obtuse out there.

4 comments:

  1. ChadZ from WisconsinJuly 26, 2012 at 1:59 PM

    I just finished reading Mike Oehler's book on Earth-sheltered Greenhouses. Awesome book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several Mike Oehler videos showing
      his underground house, earthsheltered greenhouse etc
      http://tinyurl.com/czqzqgt

      Delete
  2. Semper Fi to your son and do it to them before they do it to him. -SemperFido

    ReplyDelete