Tuesday, June 19, 2012

the daily grind

THE DAILY GRIND
If any of you are wondering why the lights are still on, the cars are still fueled and that pretty boy puke Obammy is still getting paid to play golf ( in other words, why the collapse hasn’t happened yet ), the short and simple answer is that the donkey molesting whores in Florida are still withholding child support even though it has been almost a month since my youngest graduated.  As I told you all along, the day I get a full paycheck is the day the economy collapses ( the Fates seeing to it that I am forever screwed financially ).  I have several options, none very nice.  I can sue the bastards, but that takes money.  I can keep writing them and eventually get it shut off, the extra amount eventually returned ( if at all ).  Or I can quit my job and get another, and not send in the new employers name to Florida so they have no one to withhold from.  The last option should be legal, although I don’t know if they would fight me on it and I hate to go work elsewhere since I like this gig.  Working for the last twenty years for the ex-wife was bad enough, but now there isn’t even the fiction of supporting children to make that medicine go down smooth.  God, I friggin hate people.
*
NEW Bison Blog CD For Sale
I've got an actual professional to archieve and format all the old blog on a CD-ROM.  I haven't got a copy of it yet, but I'm thinking this thing will be better than sliced white bread.   It does cost $10 plus shipping, figure another $4 or so, which might be a bit on the higher side.  But I think I'm worth it.  Depending on how much the production company charges per copy, my cut will be about $5 to $6.  That isn't too much to ask for over five years of work and nearly two million words of pure brilliance.  Here is the link to order:
http://kunaki.com/sales.asp?PID=PX00KX7Z1I
*
But the daily grind of working for other people is not today’s topic.  Here, I’ll take a step back from the serious issue of collapse prep and just go with kitchen frugality to stretch today’s food and utility dollars.  A meat grinder.  There are better ways to prepare meat cheaply, from marinating in a refrigerator to a crockpot.  Both produce superior tasting meat and with very little energy, but let’s journey to tomorrow when you are living out of your car in the National Forest, no fridge and no electrical grid.  Or living off grid on your junk land.  Grinding up your chunk of ass meat will make it chewable and allow it to cook quickly.  Again, not the preferred solution, but a viable option if your circumstances call for it.
*
The wife has had bad teeth from before I met her.  Enough front teeth so nobody thinks she smokes crack, and no back teeth to speak of.  Some folks just get the short end of the DNA lottery.  Back in the pre-Greater Depression/Peak Oil days, all meat was cheap enough  I could buy soft to chew cuts.  Nowadays, the meanest cuts of meat are a good three or four bucks a pound.  I can’t buy family packs, so I end up going by the market every day after work and buying a single serving pack.  And I have no choice on what I buy.  It has to fit in my food budget.  Some days when it is on sale I can buy hamburger, other days, nine out of ten days, it is tough pork.  Chicken is outrageously priced.  So, the wife has been forced to endure eating hard to chew meat these last four years.  I kept telling her, let me get a meat grinder.  She kept fighting me on it although I have no understanding as to why.  Perhaps she thought I’d complain she had cost me extra money.  Well, after the ambulance bill came due, that boat had pretty much already sailed.  I said screw it and got the meat grinder anyway.  We tried it out for the first time last night and she was forced to admit that the meat was a lot easier to chew.  Once again, even though no one listens, I’m correct.  I can’t say whether the meat tasted a lot worse, or if it was just because it was so hot ( upper 80’s ) last night nothing hot would have tasted good.  But it doesn’t matter if taste is sacrificed.  You need to chew on tough meat when you are poor.
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article.  Or, visit
http://bisonpress.com/affiliatebooks.html
You can purchase anything, not just the linked item.  Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire.  As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  Thank you.
*
Now, you might think this is not something you have to worry about.  Perhaps you have dentures, or you can your own meat which comes out soft.  But if you worry that in the near future only the worst cuts of meat will be affordable, or if you worry that once your teeth start going bad you have to worry about not being able to eat dead animals, this might be something to consider.  I bought a $25 plastic model, just because I wanted to try this cheaply.  I don’t know if the metal unit would age well, worrying about rust.  Although plastic surely won’t last as long.  I’ll have to decide how to play that later.  My next project is to test a pressure cooker, so I might end up going with that instead.  If I can throw in potatoes and meat and get a soft and chewable stew in fifteen minutes that would be preferable.  I’ll of course let you all know.
*
Now, a short word on how to clean your teeth after you eat that meat.  We’ve talked about dental floss before.  Rawles recommends buying a huge industrial size spool like the military stockpiles.  If that is too expensive, I recommended getting a cheap pick like they use in the dentist office ( I bought a couple of packs for a buck each that had stuff like a mirror on a handle and a few other items.  I just bought them for the stainless steel pick ).  A poor second choice, but a better than nothing if you are really poor.  Well, now that it has been a few years since my last tooth was pulled, my remaining teeth are separating.  Just enough for meat to more easily lodge between them.  I now find wooden toothpicks are needed in addition to dental floss.  I would recommend stockpiling both floss and wooden toothpicks.  The last time I checked it was a thousand picks for a buck.  Do your teeth a favor and stockpile.
END
*
My books available at
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted.  For the obtuse out there.
 

6 comments:

  1. Your meat grinder might also help preserving food in sausage form. My dentist gave me some small brushes that clean between the teeth. About a 1/16 wide X 1/4 long, disposable. Works much better than a tooth pick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our ancestors used green twigs to clean their teeth long before toothbrushes were invented. Toothpicks, which I use daily (though NOT the same one!) are great for getting stuck food, preventing tartar build-up and maintaining gum health.
      I would recommend a pressure cooker. I use mine in the summer months to cook food more quickly without heating up the kitchen, and I believe they use less energy than other methods. Even the toughest cuts can be made delicious and easy to chew. Pressure cooking can be a real money-saver, but do make the initial investment in a quality, modern cooker.

      Delete
  2. got mine when we cleaned out my granduncles house.it so old and used there's no plating on it. cleaned it up and rubbed it down with mineral oil. works fine and has to be at least 62 years old!yeah get a metal one and put theplastic back as a spare or for trade. delr

    ReplyDelete
  3. buy the pressure cocker.you will not be disapoint.

    how bout a article on items to purchase for the collapse? you know solar batterie charge,sleeping bag,water filter,flash light, whole wheat flour,flour,spices,canned goods

    i know I KNOW buy basics first,wheat beans and so on..

    i was going to make a joke about gum jobs but i haven't had enuf to drink,still on my therd gin tonic.mabe next time.

    you're Pal Al

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take the plastic stirrers that you use to stir coffee- available free at many places. Take the very sharp knife that you have on your persons, and slice a tiny bit of the tip to make an angle.

    You now have a very effective toothpick that because of its flexiblity gets into the tinier cracks better, and because of the plastics softness, does not tear up your gums/teeth as badly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been grinding pork for years. I have never had a problem with the machine or the product. You can substitute it for ground beef (saving more than a buck per pound) in most recipes. In fact most pasta sauces and rice dishes are better with ground pork, and as dennis wrote, it makes great sausage (if you season it correctly).

    ReplyDelete