Wednesday, April 11, 2012

pregnant kindle and rifle

PREGNANT KINDLE AND RIFLE
Not much is solidifying in the old grey matter today as an article so you just get a menagerie of half baked ideas and random thoughts.  Thank goodness I’m doing this for a third of the old donations or I’d feel I was ripping folks off.  Today, we have observations on teen pregnancy, magazines on Kindle and more thoughts on my own personal arsenal.  As usual, the news is all atwitter over the same old crap.  Teen pregnancies have fallen about 40% over two decades.  The news is breathless in its excitement that the same tired policies that never worked before, education and contraception, have suddenly bore fruit.  Well, I hate to burst anyone’s bubble ( actually, I do indeed love to gore everyone’s sacred cows ), even liberal educated commie pinko twats, but your idiotic policies of old are no more successful today than they were yesterday.  Some ancient fossil preaching in front of a class ( or, in my example, an oldish codger with perfect hair pounding on his keyboard ) will not change anyone’s mind.  What changes folks minds is greed or fear.  Fear didn’t work, as I can’t think of a better way to dissuade folks from random humping than AIDS ( I’ve never had casual sex, assuming that if a gal is stupid enough to jump in my bed she’ll be silly enough to stay there for awhile ) and that seems to have zero impact on the YDC’s ( young, dumb and full of cum ).  They go at it like rabbits.  Greed, now, that had a great impact.  Teens and sex have usually gone together forever.  But recently we’ve been given options.  After abortion was made legal, sex wasn’t a life sentence ( discounting AIDS, talking about marriage and birth here ).  So, it follows that pregnancies were rewarded financially.  Given the choice, if a pregnancy is brought to term ( outside of cultural, religious, or other reasons ), there is an economic motivation. I’d say, being a cynical bigot, more welfare for the single mothers of the ghetto.  If teen pregnancies are falling, I’d wager it is the fact that welfare, in terms of real purchasing power, is becoming less of a motivator.  If teen moms parents can’t afford to feed another mouth, it won’t happen.  Giving teens the benefit of the doubt in clear thinking is silly.  Follow the money.
*

Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article.  Or, visit
You can purchase anything, not just the linked item.  Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire.  As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  Thank you
*
I think I’ve been looking at the Kindle from the wrong direction.  Rather than it being an alternative to books, either in monetary savings or convenience in lack of storage space, I should have thought of permanents verses temporary reading material.  As I was looking in the book store the other day, I was struck by how unmotivated I was to buy a magazine anymore.  Sure, they are great reading, given the right periodical, but the cost to benefit ratio is no where near what it used to be.  Given that Internet sites deliver in depth articles faster, more often and much cheaper, it is a wonder many magazines get sold any more.   I think if more magazines went to Kindle, the price could come down and there wouldn’t be such a chasm between professional and amateur publications.  You can see this in newspapers already.  Some, like the idiots at the New York, want $20 a month.  Thank you, I’d like my propaganda a little more affordable.  The LA paper, the DC paper, they are more reasonably priced.  By eliminating the dead trees and the middleman distributor, you make papers affordable again.  I don’t know if you can make them respectable again, but at least they won’t cost so much.  If more magazines I like, doom and gloom and guns, were on Kindle I’d definitely buy the reader.  That, coupled with the possibility of once again reading a daily newspaper would do it for me.  The reference books and post-apocalypse novels would still be paper, as I don’t 100% trust electrons for my repeat reading.  But throw-away reading is a different matter entirely.
*
I felt bad about thinking I’d have to change my arsenal.  I love my Enfield’s and didn’t necessarily want to trade them in for more modern rifles ( to get more affordable ammo ).  Thank goodness, Mother Nature, the Syphilitic Whore that she is, pounded  some sense into my head.  For the last few weeks, the humping wind has not let up at all.  It was normal that after dark there was no wind.  In the morning there was no wind.  The wind was when the sun was up.  And inevitably, it was against me as I peddled home.  Now, 24/7 wind.  The bitch won’t stop.  24 degrees, wind.  64 degrees, wind.  Cloudy, wind.  Sunny, wind.  And it finally occurred to me, I’d be an idiot to go to a carbine round.  I need to stay with a 30 caliber.  I’ll pay the increased ammo price.  Because in the end, the cheapest round is useless if it doesn’t hit anything.  I’ll look into a shotgun shoulder pad for the recoil.  I’ll pay a buck a loaded round for my reload stockpile ( rather than buying the 65 cent empty brass ).  And, when I’ve felt that I’ve bought enough, I’ll think about getting something else for the wife that her skinny ass can shoot.  For now it will just have to stay rimfire. 
*
My e-mail is jimd303@netzero.com
*
Anyone can submit a guest article.  No minimum word length, no writing skill necessary ( just get the idea across ).  You retain copyright ( this must be your original writing ) and I’ll just use the once.  I’ve yet to turn down an article, just don’t use the N Bomb or libel another that can sue me.  Send by e-mail ( please, label as “guest article” so I can find it easily later ).  Payment will be your removal from my enemies list.
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted.  For the obtuse out there.

10 comments:

  1. Keep the wife in rimfire. Ir works fine. Since you seem to have more than one SMLE I would suggest buying an insert conversion for 7.62x39 and converting one of them to a cheaper .30 round. The insert can be removed with a broken shell extractor if you want to convert back. If you have three of the Queen's Own I would consider a more permanent conversion of one of them to the Russky caliber. Costs about 350 bucks for a full conversion. I like the 7.62x39 myself, it is a good intermediate round. And still cheap to buy. You can get the chamber adapter from MCA Sports. The full conversion is found at Special Interest Arms. -SemperFido

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are going with another 30 cal rifle, might I suggest you also look into the LimbSaver recoil pad. Most of the new Remington's come with one. They can be had in a "ready to install" on a number of current rifles and shotguns. Then there is the "grind to fit" type. These really work. I've used others, but they were not as effective at reducing felt recoil.

    FYI

    ReplyDelete
  3. SimperFido- MCA Sports no longer offers the Enfield insert. Special Interest is offering a conversion for $500, but their barrels are still on order. Yes, it would pay for itself quick, but it would be cheaper to do so many other things. Even buying the Russian semi sniper. The only good answer is staying with 303 and paying double the brass cost of other ammo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JD said: Thank goodness I’m doing this for a third of the old donations or I’d feel I was ripping folks off.

    well jimbo your not making any monie cus your not tying hard enuf.

    sometimes i think you let you're pet monkey write for you. mabe you should get a new monkey,shouldn't be that hard to find a new one. AFRICA HAAS LOTZ OF MONKIES!!! IKNOW YOUR IN AFRICA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 322- YOU ASS JOCKEY!!!! Where's my $20????

    ReplyDelete
  6. CMP is now selling 303 British ammo!!

    [url]https://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=catalogList&cat=AMC[/url]

    Scroll down the list, it's there.

    OK, so it isn't cheap, but they do have it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jim! You were soooo close! You know Mother Nature is a B----... Why did you let that jealous B---- dissuade you from the blessed 30 Cal??? Get on your bike and ride, man! This time, come back with the "30". Make it a Springfield .308 Scout and you'll make my day! It's a sweet, smooth, dependable machine that you and any "wife" can master with ease. What's it going to take to get you to look over the edge and fall into the blissful peace of .308 center-fire beauty??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. 820- don't be dissin on the 303 brit now. It IS 30 cal. Just not everyone's fav. I'm not sure I'm sold on the scout concept, but of course I know little about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just a FYI. There's 5 lots in the same Elko subdivision that will be for sale on May 11 in Elko. Starting bid $300.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "820" responding - No disrespect intended for the 303 Brit... It's definitely a dependable, accurate heavy-hitter (emphasis on "heavy". Would certainly work-out well as a hand-to-hand implement of destruction if/when the ammo runs dry, like you have previously discussed... And, it may even be a great candidate for that bayonet option that you like to tease us with :-) I guess I just got all excited about the potential of you finally going for a .30 "carbine". While a carbine is technically just a shorter version of a rifle, when I hear the words "carbine" and ".30 Cal" used together, visions of .308 Scouts go dancing through my head (which resulted in the tunnel-vision response that I gave above). This, or course, is based on my biased opinion of the Springfield .308 Scout being THE perfect reach-for weapon, and "gotta-have" caliber for ease of associated ammo access and reloading. I don't have the 303 Brit, although I have fondled and shot a couple, and I do believe that they are good weapons. But, over the past decade, I have accumulated 22/10, .223, Mini-14, 30-06, 30-30 lever-action, 300 Rem, 308 Springfield(s), AR-10, 338 Ruger, and 45-70 Gov. (lever-action) long rifles (along with 410 Ga, 20 Ga, and 12 Ga shotguns of different flavors) to shoot on a regular basis (not trying to brag, just trying get to my biased point)... If I were to find myself in a position where I could only choose/keep one of those long-guns, and I had to surrender/leave all of the rest behind (not an unlikely possibility), then I would grab/keep the Springfield .308 Scout. Simply no doubt about it. 20 rounds of .30 Cal being immediately and dependably available in a relatively small/light package just does it for me, I guess. Just trying to turn you onto the joy that I have found... Besides, if you decide to give her a whirl and ultimately find that she doesn't do it for you anymore, you can always get rid of her without loosing anything else in the process, unlike many other things discussed here :-)

    ReplyDelete