Wednesday, April 18, 2012

heating up the anal probe

HEATING UP THE ANAL PROBE
Is it me just feeling persecuted or is the new normal “Enron business school” for running a corporation?  I believe it was Of Two Minds web site that just made a similar statement ( “Enron is the new normal” ).  I was under the silly assumption that a corporation treasured its reputation, that a quality product led to increased sales.  Evidently this is Old School.  I mean, after a certain point it seems that the explanation “profits are only quarterly” wouldn’t apply.  How many companies can kill the long term viability of a product with short term thinking before there are no more American companies left?  Obviously I am underestimating that vast number because it seems like once a month I’m faced with a once desirable product going to crap.  We all heard about Maytag.  One hundred years of the best appliance on the market, a hard won reputation thrown away by a new CEO for a few extra quarters of profits.  And I’ve been chewing your ear about all the companies I’ve come to hate.  The multiple of sins at Wal-Mart ( rolling sectors where the product is never in stock, the ever present mispriced product where they are counting on you not catching the mistake, plummeting quality on many items ).  The bastards at Payless Shoes substituting a once great pair of hiking boots that lasted years for a hunk of crap that won’t make it through three months.  Taco Bell going to substandard quality food.  The majority of name brand processed meats ALL going to lower quality ( it seems even Hebrew National hot dogs are decreasing in quality.  Before, they were priced higher than hamburger.  Now, they are high priced and taste like crap ).  And it isn’t just me.  I’ve talked to others that agree that the taste is “off”. 
*

Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article.  Or, visit
You can purchase anything, not just the linked item.  Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire.  As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  Thank you.
*
Before, it was always “buyer beware”.  You paid your money and took your chances.  Yet, once you found a good product you could count on them rewarding your patronage.  You paid a higher price and got a good item.  Even Wal-Mart, selling crap, gave you a desirable bargain.  You knew it would break, eventually, but not before you got your moneys worth.  Now, it breaks quicker, at twice the old price.  Okay, I understand that this is to some degree a price you pay for a combination of inflation and resource depletion.  That doesn’t go all the way towards explaining how certain companies are well run and offer a quality product even in today’s scarcity.  Companies like Amazon.  Some of their success is that they are not in so much debt.  When a companies buys out competitor after competitor, eventually instead of having all the customers you just have all the loan payments.  But Amazon did a lot of other things right, like plowing back profits, refusing to bribe their stock holders with inflated profits if it was at the risk of long term sound business practices.  Etc.  The sad part is, it is all common sense yet the company is regarded as an innovator.  Such is the “education” of the typical CEO.  I don’t know what they are being paid millions for.  Certainly not common sense.  I guess they are just the modern version of a band of roving pillagers.  They don’t want to stick around to see a crop grow, just to take today’s food, salt the field and gallop over to the next one.
*
Mr. Heater is the brand of an indoor propane stove.  It isn’t cheap, costing about $90 for the small unit.  But for that I got a heater that lasted on low heat for 110 hours to a five gallon tank,  that could be placed anywhere as the unit didn’t heat up, and that was designed for heating a garage, tent or trailer.  Almost all designs on the market weren’t made for indoor use.  And weren’t as efficient ( from what limited research I’ve done, it seems the catalytic types get far less heat output for the same amount of propane ).  But now, Mr. Heater has warmed up the anal probe and shoved it up my ass with nary a word of warning or remorse.  I’ve gone through my second unit in as many winters.  Remember, I’ll let a company hump me twice before I call them on it.  The first can always be a fluke.  I’d estimate I got about a thousand hours use out of the last heater.  I for one don’t consider that acceptable.  I’m spending almost half as much as the propane cost to buy the stove if it breaks in so little a time period.  I had even been running it with a fuel filter, assuming the first stove failed because I wasn’t using one with it.  No.  The second stove keeps shutting off with or without the filter ( it runs about an hour, then shuts off and you need to wait about fifteen minutes before using again ).  And it isn’t the propane tank.  I tried more than one.  And I also don’t care if this is an easy fix.  I shouldn’t have to fix a heater after so little use.  Humping bastard whore bags.  I don’t know what I’ll use next, but it won’t be a product from this company.
*
I love free books I get for review.  And, as if sensing my withdrawal symptoms as I stop buying books until I get The Bison Pit Of Doom constructed, I just got THREE books.  Bitchen Bob!  I have a post apoc novel, “Joshua”.  Creekmore’s newest “31 Days To Survival”.  And a newish one from Prepper Press ( with the cool looking acorn hoarding squirrel as the company logo ) “Without Rule Of Law”.  The last one I’ve started reading first, and will review as soon as possible.  I don’t want to rush through them.  I figure if some sucker sends me a free book they wrote I should take my time and concentrate on it so I can give it a solid review.  Something for you’all to look forward to.
END

The Official Bison Web Site www.bisonpress.com
*
My e-mail is jimd303@netzero.com
*
Anyone can submit a guest article.  No minimum word length, no writing skill necessary ( just get the idea across ).  You retain copyright ( this must be your original writing ) and I’ll just use the once.  I’ve yet to turn down an article, just don’t use the N Bomb or libel another that can sue me.  Send by e-mail ( please, label as “guest article” so I can find it easily later ).  Payment will be your removal from my enemies list.
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted.  For the obtuse out there.

8 comments:

  1. I know your frustration with having to keep on buying the same cheap crap over and over. It's a cruel joke being played on the consumer.

    Maytag would much rather sell you a new washer and/or dryer every 5 years than every 35 years like it use to be.

    I would check into getting a Cozy brand propane heater that requires a vent but not electricity, since it doesn't have a fan. Then you can hook up any size tank to it. I've used it in an old school bus that I converted to a hunting cabin. You'll be toasty warm all winter on a single 100 lb tank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell me you are kidding about Amazon. They're the next Wal-Mart. People fainting at their PA distribution center, trying to make productivity numbers when it's over a hundred degrees inside. Suppliers squeezed so there's no profit for anyone. Small retailers put out of business -- would you like to compete with their pricing? Absolute power corrupts absolutely. They're just the latest incarnation.
    'Mousse

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to add that the "Mr. Heater" most of us are familiar with is a real blaster, and not rated for indoor use. It also goes through a 5-gallon tank pretty fast.

    What you're talking about must be on of the new type of heaters that ARE rated to be OK for use in a tent, etc. I first heard of them as being issued to residents of tent cities in northern areas. Coleman makes one called a "cat" something, says right on the package that it's OK for indoor use and should be thrifty with fuel.

    The "conking out after an hour" is probably a safety feature. It's designed to ensure you're awake to turn it on again. Since you don't run heat when you're sleeping, other than the hassle of re-starting it, I don't see a big problem with this. I'm not sure what the timeout mechanism is. My Mr. Coffee times out too, and it's to keep the same pot of coffee from cooking all day/night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1204- the conk out feature is new. It wasn't normal for the first 1k hours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with your analysis of the situation today my friend. I blame Walmart. I have no sound arguments I just think it is Walmarts fault.They are responsible for running every company in America who used to sell quality shit out of business. Montgomery Ward, remember them. Treasure Island, Gtants, Ben Franklin,Yellow Front,Sears backed up to Kmart and they alone are battling the Walmart Monster. LONG LIVE KMART!!! Fighting to survive. We all admire that! enough

    the rat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, thanks Jim for being able to reply on your blog w/o having to give all the BS most sites demand so they can bombard you with all their propaganda and sell your address to other asswipes.

      That being said, I typed out a long reply yesterday in response to a rant about liberal democrats ruining this country (before I saw the Ted Nugent BS) only to delete it when asked for email address WITH my password...yeah, that'll happen. After reading your article and Mohave Rat's comment, I just have to make my own comment...with all due respect to the Rat and his right to an opinion, I feel that this type of thought is what is exactly wrong with this country and our present situation in regards to everything. If Sam Walton was alive today the company would not be the same company...why you ask, because his heart was in the right place, he was grateful for a country where he could realize his dreams, he was a patriot and he wasn't greedy. After he died his kids took over and it began to change. They became the world's largest retailer because that is what the public wanted and still wants or they would have gone the way other dysfunctional, poorly run companies. Sam Walton's concept of bringing a general merchandise discount store to towns and cities with populations under 5000 was brilliant and huge success. His guaranteed satisfaction pledge (remember when Sears had that...not any more!)and customer service allowed he to compete with the big boys and he won.

      I live in a town of 11,000 with a Super Center, a local mom & pop grocery and a local state chain (Harps) that is employee owned. Guess what, they all do great because they each have different marketing strategies. When the Super Center came to town it was either pay attention to what people wanted or go tits up...they adapted and do well against WallyWorld. No one makes us go to Wal-Mart, no one makes us buy shit from china...hell, go into ANY story in the USA and NOT see shit from china. We do it because we are lazy and want shit cheap. So I don't get why everyone is down on Wal-Mart...we made them what they are today. Just like people that rag all the time about illegal immigrants...hell yeah we should stop it and a good first step is for OUR citizens NOT to hire them. Granted I don't watch the nightly news, so maybe ICE is busting those folks all the time and I just missed it. My point is we are our own worst enemy and want to blame someone else. If we as a country do not wake up to the fact that BOTH parties are bought and paid for by special interest, wall street and the Federal Reserve we are doomed keep this dysfunctional game forever. Do you really think Mitt Romney will be any different than Obama? Yes, Obama is terrible and has done a number on our civil liberties and should be impeached. But just like Bush and Cheney got away with invading a sovereign,killing hundreds of thousands and destroying an entire country for us taxpayers to rebuild...nothing will be done. Hell, the congress spent over $100 million trying to get Clinton impeached for a BJ, but allocated only $15 million to investigate 911 (after Bush, Cheney and Rice stonewalled it for over a year!)...jesus christ do ya think our elected "officials" have their priorities misplaced?! And do we wonder why the world look at us with disdain...hell, I love my country and fought for it, but can barely stand to even think about how far down the rabbit hole we have fallen. If Ron Paul doesn't get a shot, I won't vote...Romney or Obama, that's all a great country come up with as choices...jesus wept.

      Delete
  6. Lovely turn of phrase ". . . a hard won reputation thrown away by a new CEO for a few extra quarters of profits". Were you referring to the minimal dollar amount of added earnings, or the short duration of said earnings before the customers/victims caught on to the scam and the market made the necessary adjustments to the company's flawed business plan?
    One of my aggravations with Wally, in addition to those recounted above, is that they will carry a product at a decent price long enough for you to get accustomed to it being there, then BOOM! you go in to look for it and Wally no longer carries that item because they couldn't squeeze the manufacturer any further, so the the product you've made a regular part of your shopping is no longer sold at Wally, nor apparently anywhere else in the county, state, geographic region, or possibly even the planet.
    I still shop at Wally by necessity for the prices, but I'm getting close to dropping the nearest store from my regular shopping rotation and paying for the extra gas to go to a different location because my regular store is dirtier, more crowded, and generally in sorry shape compared to the stores on the other side of the city or in an adjacent county.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "dirtier, more crowded, and generally in sorry shape compared to the stores on the other side of the city or in an adjacent county" - this is the reason (IMO)that Target is still around.

      Delete