Friday, April 27, 2012

darkness falls

DARKNESS FALLS
I promise, this will be the last book review for awhile.  It just happened that I got all four books in the same week and I’ve been finishing them up right about the time I am writing the next article.  Today we have a surprise find, “Darkness Falls” by Kyle Mills.  Mills is one of those authors that for me is hit and miss.  I’ll read one, get excited, then the next one sucks.  I liked this one.  Although, to be fair, that might just be because of the subject matter.  Peal Oil disguised as an attack by an evil dude on the global petroleum supply using a biological agent.  Here is your classic Highly Improbable Series Of Events In Which A Geek Scientist Is A Super Stud Who Alone Can Save The World.  So many novels use this device I get tired of seeing it.  Fat brainy dudes sit behind a desk and Discover Very Important Things.  Muscle bound cro-magnums run around and kill things.  The twain shall never meet.  Yet in modern fiction you see this contrived creation all the time.  But, no matter.  You can ignore this in favor of the story.  This is a great book hiding Peak Oil in plain sight.  The timid frightened peasants, making daily sacrificed on the alter of Mammon, need not be turned off by reality.  If you come right out and say, you are all going to die you worthless wastes of sperm, they get all uppity and claim we have twenty thousand years worth of frac oil left and the American Empire can never ever die so help me Baby Jesus, praise God and pass the ammunition.  But if you introduce them to the concept in a disguised form where they have full deniability on their side ( well, look, it says we can only die if there is a sudden stoppage in oil.  As it is, I now know we are running out but if we all just get a solar panel American Empire can last forever ), they just might take a tentative taste of the poison pill of reality.  Perhaps after they read this you can gently disperse some of the more erroneous notions of Transition Villages Can Save Us All.
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article.  Or, visit
You can purchase anything, not just the linked item.  Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire.  As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  Thank you.
*
Look, I understand that you can use this book as a full scale tool for wishful thinking, optimism and a roadmap to your
Happy Place
.  You can bolster your Kunstler Happy Motoring fantasy using this book and never budge from that.  It could very well backfire on you if you give this book to one of the reality deniers.  I’m just introducing the thought that it might be used as a backdoor introduction to the book lover you are trying to save.  I know some folks will never go over to the Dark Side.  My dad introduced me to Lucifer’s Hammer when I was a young lad.  And we both took away two very different things from it.  His was a first taste into science fiction.  Mine was the start of a lifetime of loving doom and gloom.  I guess it is just like the non-fiction book “Overshoot”.  I was introduced to it by The Druid Dude ( to whom I’ll be eternally grateful for because of that- bar none, the best look at resource depletion out there.  Remember?  The Petri dish bacteria consuming their food and dieing off or the reindeer herds on the island crashing from several hundred to a few dozen ).  We both took away different lessons from it.  He is too optimistic, I am too pessimistic and we both read what we wanted to hear.
*
And speaking of the Arch Druid, you simply must read this weeks issue of his blog.  To my mind, one of his truly best articles to date.  He is a tree hugger, yet spares no mercy for the group as a whole when they were co-opted by American Empire in a bid to save our economy.  The best concept I’ve read.  The Powers That Be used the tree huggers to run the propaganda machine as they were trying to control other economies ( that we failed points to the relation of our decline in world affairs ).  If burning oil was oh so bad and we could cap that practice, in our favor of course, we could continue the wealth pump.  Looking at it this way, and his wonderful take on the media ignoring the mass methane release from artic seas, you can make sense of the recent ten plus year fiasco.  It wasn’t about taxes, it was about economic control.  And now, after the methane release is reality rather than propaganda, the whole danger is swept under the rug by a once compliant media.  The media isn’t pro Democrat or pro tree hugger as much as they are pro share the wealth.  As long as they are complacent lap dogs to the rich and powerful, they get a bone thrown to them.  I imagine those not towing the line get things like bribery scandals contrived and thrown their way ( I thought Murdock was one of the mass media members licking the bankers asses, but perhaps I was wrong ). 
*
Do I think that mass ocean methane releases will kill us all tomorrow?  No.  It could, but I moved inland almost ten years ago on the off chance that the seas would rise ( why buy Florida property with half a life’s worth of wages if that land will soon be under water? ) so I don’t worry too much about it.  It could of course cause extreme weather change which will effect us all.  But I’m pretty much thinking something is going to bite our ass any day now.  I just don’t know what.  What we can take away from it is that you are being deliberately being fed blatantly  false information and it is in fact working against you.  You claim to deny the message, but you are still making mortgage payments living in the city with only three months worth of freeze dried food.  I think you drank the grape Kool-Aid, then try to deny it.  Don’t you think the PTB planned the Gore Warming fiasco to include the added bonus of you not believing doom and gloom anymore?  Hey, it’s your life.
*
Saturday we have a guest article.  It is from the author of “Shut Down”, a novel I’m in gay love with and highly recommend, and it is the first few chapters of the sequel which comes out next month.
END
The Official Bison Web Site www.bisonpress.com
*
My e-mail is jimd303@netzero.com
*
Anyone can submit a guest article.  No minimum word length, no writing skill necessary ( just get the idea across ).  You retain copyright ( this must be your original writing ) and I’ll just use the once.  I’ve yet to turn down an article, just don’t use the N Bomb or libel another that can sue me.  Send by e-mail ( please, label as “guest article” so I can find it easily later ).  Payment will be your removal from my enemies list.
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted.  For the obtuse out there

2 comments:

  1. What's the Druid Dude's web-page?

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete