Thursday, March 1, 2012

does anyone remember inflation?

ANYONE REMEMBER INFLATION?
There are so many times I simply shake my head in amazement that the human race has lasted as long as it has.  What a bunch of humping morons we are.  Perhaps that is why we breed like rabbits, knowing full well that time after time without exception we overpopulate our resource base and die off ( mystical tree hugging wishful thinking to the contrary that “we are smarter this time” ).  We know that in general we are so friggin stupid that we are going for quantity over quality.  The majority will die from stupidity but as long as we have the numbers enough breeding pairs will survive to repopulate.  I mean, just look at the last three days.  Apple is worth a half trillion bucks, Davy Jones dies and the stock market went over 13k.  Did you pay any attention to these, or were you just ignoring the news as usual?
*
Apple, a long time ago when it mattered, put out a mean ass computer.  I bought one of the first Macs, which put me back about three months pay ( as a manager, no less ).  You remember the kind where the hard drive was separate from the rest of the computer, and cost the same?  I loved that bastard ( and it was even sweeter since I eventually discharged that debt through bankruptcy so I only paid a fraction ).  As time went on Apple decided that it needed an updated operating system, which necessitated its loyal customers buying a whole new machine.  I gladly put up with it the first time, but when it was time once again I rebelled and switched to Windows 95.  Gates is an ass whore, but at least he screwed people for a lesser amount.  What is that they say about pigs getting fed and hogs getting slaughtered ( or is it visa versa? )?  Ever since then, after I went from an Apple evangelist to a reluctant Windows user, I’ve always cast a cynical eye on the company.  Hell, at one time the only thing new about the latest computers was a florescent colored plastic.  And people paid a premium for it!  Idiots.  Okay, so Apple is now worth more than the GDP of Greece or other countries.  Why?  Because it announced the third version of the same old piece of crap?  What is their valuation?  1,000 to 1?  Does anyone remember the Dot Com bust?  And surely someone remembers inflation?  Is this really one of the largest valued companies of all time, or is half a trillion as much as it used to be?  That is like saying that “Waterworld” is one of the top twenty largest grossing movies of all time because it made X amount of dollars.  No, when you adjust for inflation, I don’t think it makes the top 100 ( and for the record, I thought the movie was an overlooked gem of a film which should have been judged less harshly ). 
*

Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article.  Or, visit
You can purchase anything, not just the linked item.  Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire.  As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  Thank you.
*
Davey Jones of The Monkees music group died today.  Okay, if he was a relative of yours, my condolences.  Otherwise, who friggin cares?  The band was a marketing gimmick that played on teenage girl groupies and tried to cash in on the fame of The Beatles.  It was one of the first examples of Reality TV.  Everything was staged.  The guy was a Pretty Boy that made money for a corporation.  Why are we celebrating the life of a hack?  Sure, I understand that this is just the kind of news we enjoy as we attempt to block out the economic slide into a bubbling cesspool.  But is it any more worthy as “news” than, say, who the latest celebrities are married to or what movie won an Oscar ( I flipped through the show on my way to something far more tolerable and was appalled to see Jennifer Lopez in her nasty dress.  Bitch, the dress positively screams “I’m all gigantic ass and absolutely no boob so as you can tell there is no way my middle age non-sagging breasts could hold up this style of clothing unless they were as fake as can be”.  I can’t fathom it, but I imagine there are guys who care only about the bumper and not the fender.  You can have her, she ain’t no sex symbol to me )?  The world burns as we wallow in vapid drivel.  Jesus weeps.
*
The Dow goes over 13k.  Oooohhhh!!!! Highest its been for four or five years.  Ah, hello?  Anyone there?  Remember inflation?  Oil was $40 a barrel and we had yet to quantitative ease another five trillion or so, and you think 13k is an important milestone?  Adjusted for inflation, your stocks are still worth crap.  Is it actually the institutions still investing in the market that are so stupid, or is all this just eye candy to disguise the economic collapse?  If your city or county is still buying stocks with your pension money, they’ve just humped away a good portion of your purchasing power.  Do you really still think that your civil servant job is a security blanket?  You really need to be smarter than the average swinging monkey out there.  Assume the worse and plan for it.  If nothing bad happens ( I’m voting for perpetual motion frac oil to save the day! ) you “lost” X amount of money, but gained a lot more peace of mind.  Not convinced?  I don’t blame you, with the track record of prophets.  But what is worse- being wrong about the collapse or being wrong about a pension paying out?  Nothing is free, especially not insurance.  Even if Obammy is right and you collect a pension, will it be worth anything?  Remember inflation?
END
The Official Bison Web Site www.bisonpress.com
*
My e-mail is jimd303@netzero.com
*
Anyone can submit a guest article.  No minimum word length, no writing skill necessary ( just get the idea across ).  You retain copyright ( this must be your original writing ) and I’ll just use the once.  I’ve yet to turn down an article, just don’t use the N Bomb or libel another that can sue me.  Send by e-mail ( please, label as “guest article” so I can find it easily later ).  Payment will be your removal from my enemies list.
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted.  For the obtuse out there.

3 comments:

  1. Actually I thought the Monkees were a parody band? Maybe they did indeed get out a hit or two that was a legitamate hit, they did certainly have "that sound" in "Hey hey we're the Monkees", but I remember at age 5 or 6, watching the Monkees' TV show, the one where in the beginning, to the tune of that song, they're fooling around at the beach, inner tubes around their waists, pretending to be scared of the waves running up onto the sand, etc. My Dad loved it. That, the Smothers Brothers, Soupy Sales, Roger Ramjet, Dad loved that stuff. That would have been in 1967 or 68.

    As for Apples, the old ][e was a beloved machine for those lucky enough to have one, or have 'em at the jr. college. My friend Matt and I pirated all the software we could from the college, I dunno why since we didn't have computers to run it on. AutoCAD started out on that machine (maybe the Commodore 64 too).

    I got an Apple of my own when they switched over to their UNIX-based OS (OSX) and came out with the blue G3. Now, you can get a hell of an Apple used off of Craig's List.

    ReplyDelete
  2. more bad news re the smart meter you must accept

    http://vlad-unclevlad.blogspot.com/2012/03/says-here-smart-meter-causes.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for telling the truth about Davey Jones. Nice guy, I'm sure - but a complete and utter hack (when it comes to genuine musical talent)!

    The monkees were a pure marketing machine, and I dont know why history favors them so much. I'm not saying that they should be crucified or anything (the whole thing was done in good fun to make money), but c'mon, the world mourns for Davey Jones? Gimmie a break.

    ReplyDelete