Thursday, February 9, 2012

no collapse for me

NO COLLAPSE FOR ME
Last week or thereabouts a minion asked how I would feel if no collapse happened.  As if moving out to Elko and living in a tin box was a move of desperation and I might feel pretty silly when nothing happened.  Actually, I would feel pretty humpin stupid if I had stayed in Carson City and forked over another fifteen grand to stay in that damned trailer park.  The rent went up every year.  Even if I awoke as if from a bad dream and decided to move back to “civilization”, I’d still be thousands of dollars ahead just by skipping paying rent.  Okay, I am paying six grand plus 8% interest on my land.  Yes, overpriced for an acre of scrub brush that would take an additional fifteen grand to string electric to, install a well and septic system.  That’s twenty thousand to live in the cold ass mountain desert ( I’m not saying I would spend the extra, just that this is what it would cost to live “normal” ).  And I’m only making minimum wage here, I’m not sharing in the alleged high wages from the gold mines ( so what reason to live here, right? ).  I could have taken that twenty grand and bought a lot with a mobile home in warm and sunny Florida.  But I don’t care that this is what I’ve ended up with.  Three and a half years ago I was paying 60-70% of my take home pay ( wages, plus weekend overtime plus writing income ) to live in a city I hated.  Now I’m living next to a town I hate less, and I’m only $2500 away from living rent/mortgage free.  It isn’t ideal, by a long shot, but it is a vast improvement.  And if the collapse does come, in my convoluted logic I’m theoretically better off. 
*
So, I’m paying less rent.  What about a good paying job?  Never cared about them.  When my kids were born I had been working as retail management for some time.  After my youngest was two me and Lucifer’s Handmaiden moved from California ( good riddance ) to Oklahoma and I took a job I hated because it paid well.  The plan was I worked, wife #2 went through pilot school, then I got to be Mr. Mom and write.  You all know how that ended.  Bitch left me for another pilot and I got to pay child support based on that better paying job.  After that I had to work a lot more jobs I hated, just because they paid marginally more.  I won’t ever do that again.  Living here and in theory losing the opportunity to earn more is not an issue.  I don’t care.  I won’t kill myself for a job anymore.  So, what about “living normal” so I can have a decent wife?  Well, I have a BTN wife, which is about as decent as its going to get for me.  A decent wife costs money.  Which is not a value judgment.  I do not think women are whores.  As much as I hate their mercenary ways, it has a solid purpose which is security for the family ( we won’t argue if this is justified, in their minds money equals security ).  The simple fact is when you decide to divorce yourself from money ( as much as possible anyway ), you shrink the available pool of potential mates drastically.  Sure, I miss having a wife that isn’t with me because she has no other options, but you get what you pay for.
*
Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article.  Or, visit
You can purchase anything, not just the linked item.  Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire.  As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  Thank you.
*
What does that leave?  Lack of luxury?  I’ll admit, living in a trailer sucks.  I’ll be happy to move underground.  I did wait far too long to do so, but I had to go through a learning process.  To me, a steady temperature in winter will be the lap of luxury.  It is a shame I’ll be within a decade or two of dying before I figured all this crap out, but there you have it.  If the collapse never comes ( sorry- the complete collapse, not the slow and steady one we’ve been in ), I’ll have no regrets living here.  Rent free, lower stress, security in the form of needing far less money.  Of course, I really don’t believe any of us will be that lucky.  Part of the reason I’ve given up on the old blog is, after a certain point it all gets ridiculous.  How do you pretend all is well, I’ll just keep grubbing for money ( keep sending me money though, in case we don’t collapse ).  If the end is nigh, why kill yourself trying to sell the survivalist vision to others?  They either already got it or will never care until it is too late.  I’ll still write about it, but I’m going to relax while doing so.  No longer trying to save the world here, move along, nothing to see. 
*
An updated note on my lack of friends.  In part I was being facetious, in part I am trying to grasp the idea of friendship.  How can you make friends online?  Is this possible?  How do you have friends long distance?  Isn’t that like having a long distance romance?  I haven’t had a face to face friend since the mid-90’s.  I almost feel like I’m the one who is inadequate.  Kind of like when the fat ugly wife that bitches and moans to the husband all the time, then mocks him when he can’t get an erection on command once in a blue moon when she agrees to let him mount her, and then he can’t help but feeling like it is all his fault.  With that visual planted in your head, that’s all for today.
END
The Official Bison Web Site http://www.bisonpress.com/
*
My e-mail is jimd303@netzero.com
*
Anyone can submit a guest article.  No minimum word length, no writing skill necessary ( just get the idea across ).  You retain copyright ( this must be your original writing ) and I’ll just use the once.  I’ve yet to turn down an article, just don’t use the N Bomb or libel another that can sue me.  Send by e-mail ( please, label as “guest article” so I can find it easily later ).  Payment will be your removal from my enemies list.
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted.  For the obtuse out there.

6 comments:

  1. "Yes, overpriced for an acre of scrub brush that would take an additional fifteen grand to string electric to, install a well and septic system."

    Wow, we're really not in California anymore Toto? It would cost me $15K to do just one of those on that list!

    The building dept here says that I can only legally camp on my land for two weeks at a time; do you have any such restrictions of the sort in your neck of the woods?

    Have you considered a storage container? You can treat it with something like auto undercoating, the type you can get in spray can at the auto store and then bury it. Just be sure that you have good drainage , as if it sits in constant moisture it will leak that much sooner. Maybe bury it in the side of a hill, just slightly off the base of the hill, if the option exists? You can also set up a drainage system using gravel and PCV pipe to divert the water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "With that visual in your head..." No wonder you have no friends. You pegged my second wife there. Your pilot wife was pretty much an exact copy of my first. Why worry about money when all you ever make goes to pay your ex's bar tab. California sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do like the Ribbonfarm guy does, put up a PayPal link saying something like, "If you liked this article, how about buying me a cup of coffee?" Now, we all know you hand-carve your beans from wood and then brew them yourself, but the monetary unit, "a cup of coffee" is part of our culture now, it's $2-$3.

    Good jobs.... sigh. What a crock. I took a HUGE lifetime hit in income because I believed the BS about electronics being a good career. Meanwhile the guys in the warehouse were making more, and got to drive forklifts. an E4 in the military makes something like $48K and that's just the cash, the bennies plump it up much more. Plus all the speckly green clothes you want! Supposedly shitty jobs, pay really good. An ex who's a "kitchen prep" worker is making more than $20 an hour, my neighbor is starting out as a school bus driver at $15 or $16. I just recently snagged some work in electronics, at $25 an hour but it's only 4 hours a week and takes a heroic commute up into the mountains.

    Go into the military and turn off your brain and just do military stuff, and you'll do far better than 99% of engineers. Resolutely decide to devote your life to Radio Shack and you'll do as well as a Masters' degreed engineer, and not have to learn all that hard math.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and another thing - as the Internet slows to a crawl, and as your job goes away, you're sooner or later going to have to do a horrible thing: Talk to people face-to-face. That's where you'll get real friends from again. When you and your neighbors depend on each other for something, whether it's mutual defense, mutual security watch, mutual care or looking out for livestock, etc. My neighbor, just starting out in his early 50s as a school bus driver, is a friend because he's a nice guy, and to some extent we depend on each other. If something happens over here, he can be counted on to jump on over and take care of it, call one of us, etc. Same goes with his place. He regularly gets called upon (and paid for) house watching, labor, use of his truck and him, he does airport runs, etc. In return, we've often helped out with various emergencies or just work, on his place.

    You're a lot more spread out, and there's not a lot of livestock out there I'm guessing except for maybe dogs (who are mostly pests) and horses (which are mostly pets) and your life is taken up by the "Iron Triangle" of work, house, car (in your case, bike). When your mandatory work hours go down, and everyone else's do, there will be more local community.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Screw em all James, you're in an area that has a certain intrinsic beauty to it. You put yourself there by choice, your choice. Not some female telling you where to live...I'm sure tat there are other survivalist types in Elko. In fact I'd bet good money on it. Only they gonna be the drugstore kind or Mormon. Still..there be value in groups.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I have made friends online. I did wind up meeting them face to face. But distance is disruptive so face-to-face friendships are easier to maintain.

    ReplyDelete