Sunday, February 19, 2012

guest article

GUEST ARTICLE
Silver Wells                                         

At first it was the water.

The attack took out the entire US electrical grid. In addition to the EMP, there were thousands of cell members who had placed timed thermite charges on thousands of high voltage towers bringing down thousands of miles of power lines.

Yep…………no power. Not for a long time to come.

I live in California where all the fruits and nuts are grown (or rolled here from the rest of the US). It’s a desert. Always has been, always will be. Without a river or lake nearby, which is rare here, or an operational well, you will die.

City water departments were able to keep generators running for two weeks. But, typically wasteful of these idiots, they ran the generators around the clock for those two weeks instead of husbanding that precious diesel. With thoughtful planning they could have had water flowing one hour each day for over a year. Or a half hour a day for two years.  Idiots! Instead, they burned it all up in two weeks, then……….nothing!

I live out in the County. Ag land. Everyone out here has a well or shares a well. But when the power went out almost everyone ran out of water within hours after their pressure tanks drained out. Some had generators that they were able to jury rig to their wells, but, once again, when their fuel ran out so did their water.

I heard tell of some people who had solar grid-tie that they managed to hook up to their water system. Maybe it worked, maybe it was cranky. Who knows? They weren’t nearby.

I had a couple of solar pumps and the panels and controllers to operate them stored in my barn. In bright sun they could pump 112 gallons per hour with the depth-to-water at 49 feet. At 60 foot depth (September) they could only lift 93 gallons per hour.

By the second day I had rigged one of my pumps down hole and began pumping. My gardens orchards and livestock did best with about 1000 gallons of water per day. Don’t forget, this is bright sun California where it doesn’t rain until November at the earliest.

It wasn’t long before the neighbors started wandering around and checking in with other neighbors. People who had lived within 100 yards of each other for decades and just nodded in passing were now suddenly desperate to talk to everyone else to grub for answers. Everyone around had wells, but I was the only one who had power enough to operate my small well pumps.

On day five one of my neighbors asked me if I had any water to spare. That was the beginning. I wasn’t two more days before everyone around was asking me for water.

There were people asking me for hundred of gallons per day!

I put the snooker on that real fast. I told them that I could only give out drinking water. Any water over and above 5 gallons per day would be considered “excessive use” and I would charge for it.

I told them that I only had about 900 gallons per day that I could gift or sell. They had to bring their own containers. The first five gallons was free, each additional gallon would cost the equivalent of 10 cents in silver. The last silver price I could remember was about $50 per ounce so I rounded it to 35 gallons of water for one silver dime or equivalent. {One silver dime weighed 2.4 grams on average, 90 % silver = 2.16 gram silver, one troy ounce = 31.1 grams,  2.15/31.1 =0.06945 troy ounce x $50/oz = $3.47 in silver}

I placed that second solar pump into the well and I wished I had a third. I maxed out the panel voltages and rotated the panels by hand to follow the sun hour by hour to get the maximum yield. I even cut back water use to my orchards and gardens. Let me tell you, I became a fast study in jewelry appraisal. I did a booming business and sold all of my excess water for many months and had to hire help (neighbor’s boy, pay: 1/2 ounce per day) before competing businesses started. It was over a year before everyone had found their own sources and the water sales ended. By then I had accumulated over seven hundred ounces of silver. There was even some gold and a little platinum.

The future? Who knows? At least I’ve got water, and now Silver, to spare.



2 comments:

  1. re the rescue Capt Roger Locher from NVN after 23 days, and incidentally my opinion of AR-7 survival rifle which is not mentioned in video or text.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvRcP4go-eg
    BG Ritchie speaks of the magnificent effort to rescue of Roger Locher, and the reason soldiers dare to do what they do even at the risk of death.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Locher
    excerpt When his aircraft was shot down by a Shenyang J-6 on May 10, 1972, he was on his third combat tour and had over 407 combat missions.[6][7] He was one of the leading MIG killers in Vietnam with three kills. No one saw him eject or his parachute open, and it was unknown whether he had died or been captured. Over the next two weeks, U.S. air crews in the area tried to raise him on the radio without success. The North Vietnamese did not add his name to the roster of captured airmen, which gave the Americans some hope. Traveling only at dusk and dawn, over three weeks Locher traveled about 12 miles (19 km), evading farmers and living off the land.
    On June 1, Locher was finally able to successfully contact a flight of F-4 aircraft overhead. General John Vogt, commanding general of the Seventh Air Force, committed to rescue him and canceled the scheduled attack on Hanoi, diverting all of the available aircraft to assist in his rescue.[5] Despite the proximity of the Yên Bái MiG airfield only 5 miles (8.0 km) away and its well-developed anti-aircraft defenses, there were no losses during his rescue. end excerpt

    Be reminded that the richest, most powerful nation on earth equips our aircrews with a 22LR rifle designed to opeate best with high velocity ammunition which can be heard for a long distance. There was no mention if Capt Locher carried and subsonic ammunition during the 23 days. If he used issue Hi-Vel ammo I am surprised that noone heard him shooting.
    Tell me again the compelling reasons that we do not issue aircrews suppressed AR-7 or Papoose 22LR and subsonic ammo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manual pump down to 200 feet

    http://www.lehmans.com/store/article/1296?Args=

    ReplyDelete