Thursday, February 16, 2012

cash is trash

CASH IS TRASH
A minion came up with “sell off your land you flaming idiot or you will be sorry for the rest of your miserable life” or something close to that.  Now, this is of course good advice which I haven’t been following ( “take my advice, I’m not using it” ).  And, it was pretty cool because just that morning while peddling to work that very thought had popped into my head ( synchronicity always scores extra points around here ).  Whenever I get too much money saved up I always start to panic ( bank closures!  Economic melt-down!  Or, if I’m equally foolish and keep it stashed at home- Fire!  Crack Head invasion! ).  Should I save the money and build the pit ( no more worries about freezing in Oil Down ) or pay off the land so I don’t have to leave the pit behind?  Assuming of course I get to build the pit.  It’s a bit of a chicken and an egg thing.  I have the cash to buy the materials, but I don’t have a way to warehouse those out of the weather.  So I’m waiting until I finish digging and then I’ll go buy the wood and insulation right before I build ( I don’t really trust covering with a tarp- not a grand plus worth of stuff ).  Sigh.  I hate having cash on hand.  I hate NOT having cash on hand.  I hate being married, I hate being alone.  Some damn people are never satisfied.  So, it is natural that the thought of holding off on buying the pit material a few extra months would come to mind.
*

Please support Bison by buying through the Amazon graphics above and to the right of each article.  Or, visit
You can purchase anything, not just the linked item.  Enter Amazon through my item link and then go to whatever other item you desire.  As long as you don’t leave Amazon until after the order is placed, I get credit for your purchase.  Thank you.
*
I have to wait until I am done digging, and that is going slow because I can’t dig after work.  Not enough daylight left at this time of year.  So, in theory, if I pay off the land now, then continue to save every last nickel ( I just blew $20 on wife #4 for Valentine flowers and beer and totally wasted my money  as no quid pro quo was offered-Bitch! ) like a crazy cheap bastard I’m not even delaying construction from its original schedule.  And I’m two years ahead on paying off the land.  This of course decreases my cash on hand to about zero, which is troublesome.  If I get below $600 in savings ( just normal, every day, rainy day savings ) I usually get worried.  Of course, looking at Greece is worrisome.  I’m pretty sure they are America’s bellweather economy.  Which is good for Backwoods Home Magazine’s subscription numbers ( people are seriously thinking about that lifeboat now ) but not great for the rest of us.  And, yes, they have been playing the “evil Iranian threat” card for years and years now, but either they are stepping up the rhetoric to distract us from the imploding economy ( every time I hear some ignorant whore on the radio talking about how we’ve been in a recovery for years, I want to e-mail the Iranian leader dude and request a personal suicide bomber to take that fool out ) or things are actually getting serious this time.  It almost makes you think the Iraq withdrawal was about getting our most combat ready troops out of harms way for when the nukes start flying. 
*
So, things could suddenly fly apart many different ways economically ( the derivatives meltdown or the Hormuz oil shutdown with the oil market meltdown ).  In theory, I could wake up one day and there are no more lumber deliveries and The Pit never gets constructed.  I won’t freeze, having the Pit Pilot Project ( now the official Bison Root Cellar And Emergency Bomb Shelter ) to fall back on.  And, I could always dig a new pit right behind the van, roll the van in, cover with plastic and cover ( I’d scavenge the travel trailer for support beams and sheeting [ and insulation ] so I wouldn’t be buried alive ).  I’ll still have options.  The monthly savings from paying off the land will be negligible.  “Only” another $100.  I’m saving $200-300 a month now, before writing income and before the child support has been ended ( warning!  Warning!  Only seven more estimated paychecks left until the end of child support- hence, end of the world!!! ) so another $100, while nice, isn’t critical.  What will be nice is to trade in Monopoly money for extreme peace of mind by having the land bought and paid for.  The land itself isn’t important to me.  It will be one of three lots of land in Elko ( I’m trying to offload my last non-Nevada lot, the one in Texas- don’t ask about it, I already have it promised.  If it falls through I’ll put it up again for sale.  Hey, $300 for a lot in green and warm East Texas, a stroll from fishing.  Nothing to sneeze at and it was always confusing to me that no minion every wanted it ).  The important part is I’m closer to work and very close to the river.  I have a feeling the $6k land cost will be well worth it, real soon. 
*
Get rid of paper money!  It is putrid bovine excrement.  It might not smell now, but it could at any time.
END

The Official Bison Web Site www.bisonpress.com
*
My e-mail is jimd303@netzero.com
*
Anyone can submit a guest article.  No minimum word length, no writing skill necessary ( just get the idea across ).  You retain copyright ( this must be your original writing ) and I’ll just use the once.  I’ve yet to turn down an article, just don’t use the N Bomb or libel another that can sue me.  Send by e-mail ( please, label as “guest article” so I can find it easily later ).  Payment will be your removal from my enemies list.
*
By the by, all my writing is copyrighted.  For the obtuse out there.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you don't have your damn land paid off. Think: You go into work tomorrow and the vibe is weird. Just before lunch, you're taken aside and told you're not longer needed. Now you're going to live on what you can get IF you can get, another job. Or more likely, recycling cans, the trickle of income you get from writing, etc. You'd feel a LOT better if you had your land paid off then, wouldn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dammit Alex, you've spoiled the surpise for the rest! As I just got done writting and am posting tomorrow morning, I actually decided last night and put a check in the mail this morning. It is done. Believe me, I agree with you 100%.

    ReplyDelete